iPads are one of my favorite devices. They are perfect for me in many ways from work to entertainment. The larger screen makes productivity a breeze. The larger screen is also great for media consumption like movies and games a lot more enjoyable compared to iPhones. I love my iPad and it is one of my go-to devices when I am at home. But I always felt they lacked something and that something is wireless charging. So, find out is there Will there be an iPad with Wireless Charging.
Related: Best Cheap iPad Alternatives
I am a big wireless charging fan because it is a lot more convenient and safer from my experience. iPads not having wireless charging is a bummer to me. But Apple has its reasons for not implementing the tech in even the most premium of iPads. This article is to look at why they don’t, advantages of wireless charging on iPads and I will look at if there will be an iPad with Wireless Charging.
After going through Apple official documents and talking to our sources; my team and I found out that:
Apple is surprisingly being mum about the issues. There is no news or rumours regarding the incorporation of wireless charging mechanisms in the iPad, at least in the immediate future.
Related: How to Setup VPN on iPad
Will there be an iPad with Wireless Charging?
Do iPads have Wireless Charging?
If you are in the market for a tablet now, my recommendation to you will always be the iPad. As much as I want Android tablets to put up a fight so that Apple doesn’t slack off without any real competition, but there really isn’t any fight between iPad and the world of Android tablets. Android tablets are not as good as iPads yet Apple has been still delivering better iPads over each generation.
iPads were lacking in the charging department, but Apple made a step in the right direction by moving to USB-C connector for iPad. Even then iPads still lack in the charging department in a key area, and that the is the answer to the question, do iPads have wireless charging, which is a big resounding NO.
There is kind of a cheat by which you can charge iPads wirelessly. For this, you will have to buy a “Wireless Receiver Adapter” with your iPad. This is not an official wireless charging support from Apple and it still requires you to connect to your lightning/USB-C port on your iPad. But nonetheless, it works as in it can charge your iPad if you place it on a wireless charging mat.
All this might have git you wondering why iPads don’t support wireless charging and there are multiple reasons, read on to know more. So, find out is there Will there be an iPad with Wireless Charging.
Why iPads don’t Have Wireless Charging?
Apple has been offering wireless charging on its iPhones since the iPhone 8, so it is only normal to expect wireless charging on Apple’s iPads too. It is a matter of Apple choosing to implement wireless charging to their iPads or not. The reason you can’t place the current iPads and charge them wirelessly is because of few reasons. These reasons are:
- The current iPads in the market are made of aluminum. Wireless charging is not possible on the metallic backs of a device. Induction doesn’t work with metallic surfaces; this is why all iPhones and smartphones from other manufacturers that support wireless charging feature glass back or plastic. So, if you want an iPad with wireless charging, Apple has to make an iPad without a metallic back.
- The other reason you can’t just place your iPad on a wireless charging pad and expect it to charge is that there are no inbuilt coils that make wireless charging possible. If you have seen a teardown of any iPhone or any smartphone with wireless charging, you will notice, magnetic soils inside. These coils are the receivers that conduct magnetic induction to electricity that in turn charges the devices. There are no such coils under the back of iPads to facilitate wireless charging. So, Will there be an iPad with Wireless Charging?
- A possible reason can be that iPads are large, with huge batteries and this means that the wireless charging tech should be fast and safe enough. Wireless charging is slower than wired charging, mainly because of the heat production and because the tech is not fully developed. While some manufacturers do offer very fast wireless charging speeds, they are not the safest or a standard in the industry. Apple always has been lagging in the charging department, as they offer slower speeds than its competitors.
- Wireless charging will also drive up the cost of an iPad and if the tech is not useful enough to make a difference to the customer, there is no point in implementing it and charging extra for it. I am sure Apple would have done it if it was feasible. Apple has a track record of providing only what you need so if there is no wireless charging on iPads, yet then it is not the best option yet.
Benefits of iPads with Wireless Charging
The reason I am raving about iPads and wireless charging is that it has so many benefits and would make the experience with an iPad even better. Some of the benefits are:
- Wireless charging is way more convenient, just think about it, you can place it on a charging pad and leave it to charge. You can even use it when on the charging pad more comfortably compared to fiddling with wires.
- Wireless charging on iPads can also allow for reverse charging of other devices, for example, you can place your AirPods or iPhone on the back of your iPad and they can get charged similar to charging an Apple pencil. This is possible because of the huge battery in iPads.
- It can improve battery performance and life if used the right way. Safer since you don’t have to play with wires, and no one will trip over.
- You can charge multiple devices with supported wireless chargers; you can even charge different smartphones that support Qi charging with the same pad. So, Will there be an iPad with Wireless Charging?
These benefits are just too good to avoid wireless charging on iPads, they can make the whole Apple ecosystem better. And these are some of the reasons I want wireless charging on iPads.
iPad with wireless charging: The Future
Apple has supported wireless charging on its phones for a few generations now, that is since the iPhone 8. While it is clear why iPads don’t have wireless charging, lack of need or competition, it still is something that would be an amazing feature. So, Will there be an iPad with Wireless Charging?
Apple also has wireless charging on Apple Watches and AirPods. While we don’t know what the future holds, it sure seems bleak in terms of wireless charging for iPads. The rumour mill is silent about wireless charging on iPads which means that it is unlikely that Apple surprises us.
A glass or plastic back is required for wireless and both have their disadvantages when they have to be implemented on iPads. A glass back can easily shatter because of the size and weight of an iPad. Plastic back is not as premium as glass or aluminum making it a no go for iPads as they are premium quality products.
Apple does have wireless charging on its new iPad Pros but it helps to charge the Apple Pencil 2 rather than charging the iPads itself. If you place your Apple Pencil on the side, it will get charged, and since the pencil has a very small battery, it is feasible for Apple to set up a small cut out in the aluminum frame that can charge it. Maybe Apple can use this method and have a cut out in the back of iPads to charge it wirelessly.
Another possibility is that iPads could use something different from Qi charging, a method similar to that of WattUp system from Energous or the recently Xiaomi Mi Air Charge. While these are a stretch and something that are for the future, they will still work with iPads with aluminum bodies.
While it does seem very unlikely at least for the near future, I am kind of hopeful that Apple might surprise us. This hope is purely because Apple is doubling down on wireless charging on iPhones. With the introduction of MagSafe combined with the rumors and leaks about the next iPhone being fully wireless, I am hoping that all this will trickle down to iPads too. Beside Apple knows about the advantages of wireless charging and that its customers will love it on an iPad.
Apple iPad Wireless Charging
While Apple is not planning on manufacturing iPad’s that are equipped with wireless charging technology, there are third-party solutions out there. For example, wireless chargers such as The iPort Launch Port or Launch by iPort.
The iPort Launch is a wireless charger that is tailor-made for Apple iPads. It comes with an induction charger and a matching case for the iPad. Additionally, the charger is equipped with magnetic technology and can be mounted on the wall or on the table.
What’s amazing about the Launch is that the iPad case not only allows you to access all the buttons, it actually offers amazing durability. An iPad with the iPort case can take a 6ft drop without any issues. You can use the iPad while it’s charging on the mount as well. The only issue as such is that the base charger needs a 12V power source to function.
Like the iPort, you can always get a universal Qi Adapter with a lightning connector and charge it wirelessly. However, you might as well resort to charging it traditionally, if your going to connect the adapter to the iPad through a lightning cable.
Wireless charging is a game-changer, no matter which device it is available on. And the fact that iPads don’t have it makes me sad because I absolutely love wireless charging. It is safe, convenient, and can lead to other possibilities like reverse charging from iPads. All this will make the experience so much better with an iPad.
It is hard to judge whether there is going to be an iPad in the future with wireless charging and it seems more unlikely. But it is possible so I have hope that Apple will introduce wireless charging to its iPads given the advantages of wireless charging. Only time will tell when, if at all we get it.
Do iPads have wireless charging?
No the current line of Apple iPads do not have wireless charging capabilities. As for the future, Apple hasn’t released any official news regarding wireless charging enabled iPads.
Do any iPads use wireless charging?
None of the iPads feature wireless charging, including the latest iPad. However, Apple may have iPads with wireless charging by 2022.
How do I make my iPad wireless charging?
Apple officially hasn’t introduced wireless charging for iPad. However, there’s a way to charge your iPad wirelessly. You will need a Samsung Fast Charger wireless Pad, QI wireless receiver, and a iPad case. Connect the QI receiver to the iPad and place the thin pad on the backside of the iPad. Then put the iPad cover on so the thin pad stays in place. Now place the iPad on the Samsung Fast Charging wireless Pad so your iPad can start charging
Does the new iPad mini have wireless charging?
Apple hasn’t officially announced if wireless charging is available for iPad mini. But some users have successfully used Qi wireless charging along with the wireless charging pad to charge the iPad mini wirelessly.
Alan Urban is the Editor-in-chief of Stupid Apple Rumours and often proclaims that he’s ” Apple’s number one fan.”
In addition to keeping up with the latest Apple news, he also reviews Apple products and creates user-friendly guides. When not subjecting Apple Devices to crazy stress tests, he’s usually playing games on Apple Arcade