It’s been 16 years since Apple launched the world’s first smartphone and ushered in a new era. Although, the iPhone may not be as impressive as it once was compared to current technology it did revolutionize the way modern humans communicate. And now, almost 1.5 decades it looks Apple is getting ready to once again change the world, this time with the Apple Glasses. Check out our Why Apple Glasses Are The Next iPhone for more details.
Apple glasses are augmented reality (AR) glasses that can display AR generated content in the user’s field of vision. For example, you will see Maps, texts, social media, videos and games superimposed on reality.
As a concept, it certainly is revolutionary and It’s with that concept in mind that companies like Apple are looking towards the next big thing, the next technological revolution; in all honesty, the next iPhone.
Apple’s been working on this new technology for years now, but it’s only lately that they’ve started talking about it. Right now, everything’s up in the air, but thanks to some crucial information confirmed by Apple, Inc. as well as some reliable leaks from the usual suspects, we have a rough idea of what to expect with the Apple Glasses.
So, read on to find out Why Apple Glasses Are The Next iPhone.
- Why Apple Glasses Are The Next iPhone
- Apple Glasses Concept – What Are Apple Glasses?
- Apple Glasses Features and Benefits
- Apple Glasses Leak – How Much Will Apple Glasses Cost?
- Apple Glasses Release Date
- Apple Glasses Review – What We Know So Far
- How much are Apple AR glasses?
Why Apple Glasses Are The Next iPhone
Apple Glasses Concept – What Are Apple Glasses?
As mentioned earlier, Apple Glasses are Augmented Reality glasses that are being developed by Apple, Inc. If you’re familiar with the concept of Google Glass – which was Google’s attempt at this technology circa 2013.
- However, Google Glass never really took off as it was and still is a super expensive product. It failed miserably due to its high price tag of 1500$, its horrible bulky design and certain privacy issues.
- These days the Google Glass has moved away from the Consumer market to a more business-centric niche with very few everyday applications.
- Apple’s technological feat aims to cause a technological revolution by making AR Glasses as widely available as possible.
- Apple’s AR glasses, which for now is being named Apple Glass, isn’t meant to be a technology designed for a handful of people, but rather, a technology designed for everyone.
At least it’s important enough for the company to call it the next iPhone and hope that this product will eventually replace iPhones. And Most importantly, change the world the way the iPhone once did.
Apple Glasses Features and Benefits
Based on reliable industry leaks, we can expect Apple Glass to have the following features:
#1 — Dual Lens Information Display
According to Jon Prosser a famous Apple Leaker, the Apple AR Glasses are going to be able to display information in Augmented Reality on both lenses.
- His sources in Apple state that the device will showcase a dual-lens information display powered by AR. Apple Glass users can also expect an entirely seamless and immersive experience. Most importantly, the information they need on a regular basis will be made readily accessible and available to them.
#2 — LiDAR-powered Augmented Reality
Due to Apple’s commendable consistency with its Pro-Privacy policies, the Apple Glasses reportedly will not have built-in cameras, although that might change in later iterations.
- Instead, the Apple Glass will be outfitted with LiDAR sensor technology, which will allow the Apple Glasses to fully map the environment in 3D, allowing for accurate AR displays.
#3 — No Built-In Processing
To keep them light and slim enough for everyday use, the first iteration of Apple Glass will likely not have any built-in processing, leaving the heavy-lifting to be done by a paired iPhone.
- In this regard, the Apple Glass will act more like a wireless display that will depend on your smartphone to process information.
#4 — Gesture Controls
If you’re wondering how the Apple Glasses will be operated, the latest reports say that the interface will be controlled via gestures using your hands.
- Since Apple Glass is outfitted with LiDAR, they’ll be able to detect hand movement with extreme accuracy, so gesture controls are entirely likely. This would be one of the primary reasons Why Apple Glasses Are The Next iPhone
#5 — Prescription Lens Option
According to another leak from Prosser, the Apple Glasses will probably be available with a prescription lens option. Which is an absolute dream and I personally never got used to the Google glasses and I’m extremely myopic, no pun intended.
- If this feature will be made available, it only furthers the argument that Apple is designing these AR glasses for everyday use. First, it’ll replace your eyeglasses, then it’ll replace your smartphone.
#6 — Adjustable Opacity
This feature is currently more rumor than anything else.
- However, due to reports on some Apple-patented lens technology, its possible that the Apple Glasses will come with adjustable opacity lenses, making applications such as Dark Mode another likely feature.
Apple Glasses Leak – How Much Will Apple Glasses Cost?
Apple Glasses Price Information
According to everyone’s favorite source of Apple leaks, Jon Prosser from Front Page Tech, Apple Glass will be available at a starting price of $499, with the option to pay more for prescription lenses.
- If this information is accurate, then we can expect Apple Glass to be entirely available to everyone and this factor would be one of the primary reasons Why Apple Glasses Are The Next iPhone.
- Of course, if the rest of the information is accurate – then it won’t be a standalone gadget, and instead, an accessory to the iPhone. So, it will still cost quite a bit.
Thankfully, under $500 for some cutting edge technology should be within reach for most – especially when compared to Google Glass’s hefty $1,500 price tag.
Apple Glasses Release Date
The release date for the Apple Glasses is a prickly topic – as it always is when it comes to these ground-breaking products where the company has yet to reveal, confirm, or deny any information.
- In Apple’s defense, it’s a great way to generate a ton of hype and excitement over an upcoming product, especially one as potentially revolutionary as the Apple Glass.
- However, for consumers like us, it all depends on who you listen to. There are a handful of industry analysts and authorities to look out for when it comes to this kind of information.
The ones with the best track records for industry and production leaks include Jon Prosser from Front Page Tech, highly-regarded Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, DigiTimes, and Bloomberg.
Prosser: Apple Glass Reveal in 2021, Product Launch in 2022
According to reliable Apple leaker Jon Prosser for Front Page Tech, we can expect Apple to officially unveil their AR Glasses concept sometime in Q1 or Q2 of 2021.
- If that happens, Prosser expects that Apple will be ready with their AR Glasses – which he believes will be dubbed Apple Glass – by 2022.
Kuo: Product Launch in 2022 At The Earliest
Ming-Chi Kuo, on the other hand, expects a much later release date of 2022 at the earliest.
- Kuo is another reliable source of information on the latest Apple products and is a widely respected industry analyst.
DigiTimes: Apple Glass Launch in 2021
DigiTimes, on the other hand, reported recently that they expect Apple Glasses to launch sometime in 2021.
- Their analysis and prediction of the Apple-made AR wearable’s release date are by far the most optimistic, as they’re expecting the product to launch sometime next year.
- However, despite its optimism, it is in no way baseless. DigiTimes has done quite a bit of research, so I wouldn’t write it off as impossible.
Bloomberg: Launch in 2023 At The Earliest
At the other end of the spectrum, international business news platform Bloomberg reported their release date expectations do be no earlier than 2023 – a full three years from now.
- While Bloomberg’s report does take into account the obstacles to be faced due to the on-going pandemic, Apple fans, ourselves included, aren’t all too happy to wait three years for such an exciting product.
Apple Glasses Review – What We Know So Far
Apple Glasses Concept and Production Leaks
Okay, this is where it gets a little crazy. With all of the leaks and hype revolving around the upcoming Apple Glasses, it’s hard to tell what is reliable, trustworthy information, and what isn’t. Here’s a little timeline where we attempted to present the most reliable information as simply as possible:
- In 2017, Apple first hinted at the possibility of AR glasses when they revealed the augmented reality API bundle Apple ARKit.
- Apple acquired the Danish company Spektral, which had been using machine learning for real-time video editing technology that could push Apple’s own AR technology forward. Source: TechRadar
- Patently Apple reports that several technologies with applications in augmented reality glasses have been submitted by and awarded to Apple in recent years. These patents include adjustable opacity lenses, lenses that can cast images to a wearer’s eye, and 3D mapping technology that totals 53 patents with applications in AR.
- Apple has been steadily bolstering its team with specialists in bleeding-edge augmented reality, including Jeff Norris, who founded the Mission Operations Innovation Office at NASA.
- According to the latest reports from TechRadar, Apple has a team of over 1,000 people working on AR technology and its applications.
- Last May 2020, Apple acquired NextVR, a virtual-reality content producer, reportedly for their expertise in virtual reality products.
Apple has yet to grace the world with details on its exciting upcoming new product, but it’s coming. It’s really happening. Whether or not the Apple Glass will become the next iPhone is something that only time will tell, but one thing’s for sure, it’s going to come in a big way.
How much are Apple AR glasses?
According to various sources such as Jon Prosser and Ming-Chi Kuo, the Apple Glass is expected to priced at a starting price of $499. Considering the amount of engineering and cutting edge technology that’s going into this device, it’s honestly a steal.
- Those who wear prescription glasses are in luck as the Apple Glass also comes with the option to pay more for prescription lenses. Check out our article to find out Why Apple Glasses Are The Next iPhone.