I have been using the Apple Watch Series 4 for some time now and for sure it has served its purpose. However, while looking to upgrade the Apple Watch I decided to go for the Series 5 in the collection and I was not disappointed. Check out our guide on What can you do with an Apple Watch Series 5 for specific details.
A super sleek and high-performance smartwatch, the Apple Watch Series 5 is a monster strapped to your wrist and the first in the Watch series to receive the Always-On Retina display. This lightweight device is so much more than just a watch. In all honesty, it does feel like a mini-computer on your wrist.
What I’m doing to do now is take you through everything you can do with your Apple Watch Series 5 including a few tips and tricks that you should try out along with a couple of troubleshooting fixes for some common bugs. Anyway without further ado, here’s our guide on What can you do with an Apple Watch Series 5.
After using the Apple Watch 5 for almost a year and having tested its limits through various stress tests, I’ve pretty much understood its capabilities. I found that:
The Apple Watch 5 has a few common features like a health tracking function, Apple pay, compass functions among various others. It also functions as a gateway to control other smart home devices. But most importantly, The Apple Watch 5 also has Hidden Features that unlock your Mac, customize UI and even Identify Songs Playing Near You.
- What can you do with an Apple Watch Series 5
- Apple Watch Series 5 Features
- Apple Watch Series 5 Hidden Features
- Apple watch 5 – Troubleshooting
- What can you do with an Apple Watch Series 5 – Takeaway
What can you do with an Apple Watch Series 5
The Apple Watch Series 5 is an astounding piece of tech and so much more than just a regular smartwatch. I’ve come across a few instances where some users wouldn’t know that their Series 5 has a particular feature and are surprised that it can tell them more than just the time.
Upon going over the Series 5, I came across some key functions of the smartwatch that have made it truly unique and which have pushed it into a different league all together.
Apple Watch Series 5 Features
Raise to Speak
Raise to Speak is a feature that’s available on Apple watches post the Series 5. Simply raise your hand to your mouth and begin speaking, that’s how easy it is. The raise to speak feature can be activated on your Apple Watch Series 5
- On the Apple watch begin by opening the Settings App.
- Proceed to select Siri from the list of options.
- Once in, under ask Siri click on Raise to Speak.
*The Raise to Speak along with Hey Siri can function simultaneously. If you need to turn off “Hey Siri” simply deselect the “Listen for Hey Siri” option in the Series 5.
The Raise to Speak feature listens to your voice commands and acts on them accordingly. At times if you’re in a crowded place the Apple watch may not be able to recognise what’s being said and would ask you to repeat it.
The Health tracker on the Watch Series 5 is designed to provide you with important information regarding your Heart health.
- The Apple Watch Series 5 will check for high and low heart rates. Patients whose heart rate is above 120bpm or lower than 40bpm will receive a notification warning them about any underlying heart-related conditions.
- An irregular rhythm notification will be displayed on the face of the watch in cases where irregular heart rhythms may be detected.
This feature has been included for those users over the age of 22 and has been pre-diagnosed with Afib (atrial fibrillation).
- ECG App is available on the Series 5 for those who have rapid heartbeats or irregular rhythms. If the user receives a notification pertaining to any complication in the regular heartbeat they will be prompted to seek medical attention soon.
- With the Series 5, a Fall detection notification will appear on the display in case you have had a hard fall. In the instance you remain unconscious for more than a minute, the fall detection triggers an emergency call and automatic message to your emergency contacts.
- One of the more amazing features of the Apple watch is the handwashing feature. This is one of the latest additions that only come with the watch OS 7. It was devised to help users wash their hands thoroughly to help them combat the pandemic.
- Basically, the watch automatically starts a timer the moment your turn on the tap and start washing your hands. It will count down from 20, giving the user the perfect amount of time required to clean their hands thoroughly. The UI shows a screen with bubbles to help make it interactive. You can turn on this feature by heading to the Handwashing feature in the general menu option in settings.
- The most promising feature is the Medical ID which allows medical personnel and doctors to access your medical records on your iPhone without having to unlock the device.
The details that will appear on the screen are your personal information related to allergies, medications you’re currently on, health conditions that have been tracked and emergency contacts. This has to be set on your iPhone in the Health App.
On the Series 5 you can pay wirelessly by using Apple Pay. This additional feature can be accessed by double pressing the side button. To add your card to the Series 5, you can follow these steps
- Start by opening the Apple Watch App on your iPhone.
- Proceed by selecting the My Watch option and click on Wallet and Apple Pay.
- Proceed to tap on Add card and enter the required credentials along with the CVV.
- If you already have a card stored on your iPhone, proceed by selecting the appropriate card from the list. Upon doing so you’d receive a notice on the screen requesting for the CVV, enter the information to confirm the card.
- There may be instances where your bank or card issuer may request for an additional step to validate your identity.
While paying at a store, double-tap the button on the side of the Apple Watch for the listed card to appear. Draw your watch over the card reader in a similar fashion as you would with a contactless card.
The Series 5 comes equipped with a powerful magnetometer that powers your Compass App. This can be activated upon opening Maps and tapping on the main screen. An extremely accurate and oriented App, the Compass will never lead you astray.
However, in the case you own a magnetic watch strap, there are chances it may interfere with the accuracy of the magnetometer and lead you in the wrong direction.
Control your Smart Home devices
Yes, you read that right. The Series 5 is a part of your Home-Kit thus giving you the ability to control your thermostat, lights and smart switches all from your wrist. Kinda makes you feel like Tony Stark.
The Series 5 has a built-in Home App that can control lights from Philips and Thermostats from Honeywell. For other brands, their respective Home Apps would have to be downloaded onto the Apple Watch in order to control them.
Apple Watch Series 5 Hidden Features
The Apple Watch Series 5 has a few hidden gems that can be unlocked if you know just where to look. A few tips to get more out of your series 5 are:
Customized Watch Faces
With the Watch Series 5 you can customize your watch faces by choosing different designs, colours and complications making your Series 5 a unique one.
There are currently over 30 watch faces you can choose from and these can be further customized from within your Apple Watch.
To change your current Watch face:
- Begin by pressing the digital crown on your Watch, swipe across the display from left to right.
- Now the available faces will appear, tap on your favourite watch face to set it to default.
The Apple Watch Series 5 lets you further customize your default watch face. You can achieve this by
- Pressing down on the Digital crown till the list of faces appears.
- Swipe across the display till you reach the watch face of your choice.
- Tap on Edit. To change features, swipe left or right to select the feature and rotate the dial to have it changed.
- When done, save your Edit but pressing the digital crown down.
- Finally, tap on the watch face to set it as default.
Share watch faces
The latest watchOS 7 offers users the option to share watch faces. Unlike the previous versions that hand only around 30 watch faces, the latest update provided users with multiple new and customizable watch faces.
Users of most smartwatches have all wanted to conveniently share their watch faces with their friends and family. And Apple managed to make that happen with their line of Apple watches.
The tech giant managed to pull it off by adding a share option to the watch faces. All you have to do is press and hold it like any other file. You can send it to your contacts through messages or even through messenger apps along with a message. You can even send customize watch faces.
Unlock your Mac
This feature is only compatible with more recent models of Macs. If you’re running late or are simply too lazy to type out your password you can set-up your Apple Watch to unlock it for you without having to enter a password.
In order to enable this feature, you’d have to configure it on your Mac, while wearing your Apple Watch. Check out our guide on What can you do with an Apple Watch Series 5 for specific details.
- On the Mac, go to “System Preferences” and click on “Security & Privacy”.
- Proceed to check the box next to “Allow your Apple watch to unlock your Mac”
Now, whenever you wake your Mac or boot it up while wearing your Watch, you will not have to enter any password to login. This will be taken care of by your Apple Watch Series 5.
Change the App view
With the Watch Series 5 you can change the orientation of the applications quite similar to what you can do on your iPhone. This feature makes it easier to scroll between applications and navigate in the App menu.
To change your App list orientation
- If you’re not on the app page, begin by pressing down on the digital crown to open the App page.
- Now press down hard on the screen until your Series 5 vibrates and a popup appears.
- Two options are now made available to you; “List view” & “Grid view”.
- As Grid view is the default layout proceed to select List view.
- Now that your App list has been set to the List view mode all your apps will be presented to you in alphabetical order.
*If you wish to change to view back to Grid, follow the same steps but select Grid from the list of options.
Identify Songs Playing Near You
At times when you are unable to remember the name of the song you’re listening to, your Apple Watch can listen in and provide you with the name of the song and artist by searching the web.
All you need to do is ask Siri to tell you the name of the song that is playing, she will then search the web and provide you with the result.
The Series 5 even lets you add the song to your Apple Music library for playback at a later time.
Apple watch 5 – Troubleshooting
The Apple Watch 5 is one of the best smartwatches in the market and the reason it has been able to retain its name is due to the fact that the Series 5 does not hang often. However, Apple has taken the time to factor in the possibility of this happening and here are a few fixes to get you out of your predicament.
- Force Closing an application is an easy task on the Series 5. If any app is misbehaving simply press down on the side button till the Power off screen appears, then push down the Digital Crown until the app closes. This can only work with the application running on the Watch.
- Restarting your watch is a highly recommended fix that basically shuts down all running applications, including the faulty ones. Press down on the side button till the power off screen appears and slide from left to right on Power Off to turn off your Watch. Now when you switch on your Apple Watch all your applications will start afresh.
- At times when the Restart option and the Force closing an app does not work, you can Force Shutdown the Watch by simultaneously holding down the digital crown and the side button for a few seconds. This function is best suited only when all options have been exhausted. Check out our guide on What can you do with an Apple Watch Series 5 for specific details.
- Reset your watch by accessing the Watch App on your iPhone. Here, you’d be able to clear all your Watch settings by tapping on General and clicking on Reset. Upon resetting the device, Apple has included a pointer stating that contacts and calendar data will be erased and re-synced. So though the data has been erased, when you re-sync the devices all the data will be restored to your Watch Series 5.
What can you do with an Apple Watch Series 5 – Takeaway
Yes, the Apple Watch Series 5 can do much more than just tell you the time. This piece of tech is one of the most sought after smartwatches in the market at the moment and there’s no doubt that it’ll remain as one of the best tech devices of this century.
There are so many interesting features hidden in plain sight that it’s astounding at what all has been included in such a compact device.
The article What can you do with an Apple Watch Series 5 covers the primary features and a number of hidden tips and tricks enabling you to take full advantage of the features your Series 5 has to offer.
If you have questions pertaining to the topic or if you feel there’s something that you’d like to highlight please drop a comment below.
Is the Apple Watch Series 5 worth it?
Yes, the Apple Watch Series 5 is Absolutely worth it. While the Apple watches from the 2nd generation to the 4th didn’t have extreme changes, the Apple watch series 5 offers a slim sleek design that looks fantastic.
It is also extremely comfortable and has an always-on feature along with a vibrant display. Most importantly, it has amazing fitness tracking features. Check out our guide on What can you do with an Apple Watch Series 5 for all the details.