Is Wireless Charging Safe For iPhone | 2021 Guide
Apple introducing wireless charging to its iPhones was one of the best features to be added to them. I have dreaded wired charging for a long time now. Wired charging, while fast is not convenient and comes with its own share of troubles. So, Is Wireless Charging Safe For iPhone? Let’s find out.
All this was going to be a thing of the past when wireless charging was introduced to a whole plethora of Apple devices including the iPhones. I have multiple wireless charging pads in my home, but then a friend of mine said that they are not safe for you or your device. Which got me to thinking and this is the reason for this article. This article will clear your doubts about wireless charging and if they are safe or not. Here’s our “Is Wireless Charging Safe For iPhone” guide.
After going through various sources and subjecting various wireless chargers to stress tests: my team and I found that:
Wireless Charging is relatively safe but is dependent on various factors. For example, you must use a good quality charger and charge it only when necessary. A subpar charger can cause quite a few issues. While the chances of exploding are almost non-existent, there are detriments to the battery of the iPhone.
Is Wireless Charging Safe For iPhone
Wireless charging is a technology that allows you to charge devices without connecting them to wires. It is a convenient and useful feature if you don’t like messing with wires.
Apple has been embracing wireless charging tech on its devices since the iPhone 8. Other Apple devices like the Apple Watch, and AirPods and AirPods support wireless charging too. Apple now is doubling down on wireless charging with the inclusion of MagSafe on its 12th generation iPhone lineup.
There are even rumors about Apple going to release a port less iPhone soon, which means that it will only feature wireless charging. But all this ultimately leads to if wireless charging is safe to use. I will be answering this in detail below:
Is Wireless Charging Safe?
To answer this question, you will have to know the technology behind wireless charging. Wireless charging that we use in day-to-day devices uses the process of induction.
- This is also known as inductive charging. Inductive charging happens by using a transmitter coil and receive coil. The transmitter coils contain electrons which flow inside it when electricity is passed through it.
- This generates a magnetic field and this is known as electromagnetic induction. This magnetic field causes electrons in the receiver coil in the device to flow which in turn generates electricity.
- This electricity is used to charge the device’s battery. Inductive charging needs correct alignment and contact between the charging pad and device.
- Apple uses Qi (pronounced “Chee”) wireless charging technology developed by The Wireless Power Consortium. Qi uses inductive charging technologies and is specific for mobile devices only.
- Now, why would anyone consider this to be unsafe for your device? Because it is a fairly new technology and people are always doubtful of new technology, to say the least.
This is common and the fears and doubts will only vanish when the tech is more mainstream and proven to be safe. People are scared of the harm it can do to the device sand to themselves. I am not going to lie; I was fearful too when wireless charging started to roll out in the industry. I had doubts about how harmful it can be for me and my devices.
Is Wireless Charging Safe?
- Since this is what most consumer devices, we will have to look if it’s safe. All Apple devices that support wireless charging use electromagnetic induction to charge wirelessly.
- From iPhones to AirPods to Apple watch, all of the use of induction to charge wirelessly. Even the Apple Pencil 2 charges using electromagnetic induction from the iPad.
- The new MagSafe chargers in the iPhone 12 series are also based on electromagnetic induction technology and they also support Qi charging.
Is wireless charging safe overnight?
Yes, it is safe for your iPhone if used correctly. And by safe, I mean you have to be safe about the charger you are using. The wireless charger might be the cause of problems, that and how you use the wireless charger itself.
- You may think that buying a cheap wireless charger can be a cost-saving measure but it is not. Cheap wireless chargers can be fake and of low quality, and this can damage your phone and battery.
- Wireless charging can lead to heat buildup, good quality wireless chargers allow for better heat dissipation and keep the charging under control. Whereas low-quality ones can supply power irregularly and be a heating pad. This can damage the internals and battery of your iPhone and devices. It can also decrease the battery life significantly.
- Similarly, you need to use the wireless chargers in an optimal way for the best and long life for your iPhone’s battery. A well-ventilated place is vital to avoid overheating of your iPhone or Apple device. Good quality chargers are also turn off automatically when your iPhone is fully charged.
- This is important to reduce heat buildup. And it is best to charge your iPhone only up to 90%, this can extend battery life. This is also applicable to wired charging, not charging your phone fully or letting it die can increase your battery life in the long run. Constantly charging your iPhone can also degrade battery life, this is true for wireless charging too, so keep in mind to charge only when you need to.
- Make sure to but a good quality, officially certified by Apple for best wireless charging capabilities and to maintain the health of your iPhones. You don’t want to cheap out a few dollars on your wireless charger to damage a premium iPhone which costs hundreds of dollars. A lot of good quality, certified chargers are available for cheap now.
- So, wireless charging for your iPhones and other Apple devices is definitely safe for the device itself. But what about you, the user, is it safe for you to be around wireless chargers.
is wireless charging safe for health?
In short yes, it is safe for you. It is safe because the electromagnetic field that is created by these chargers are weak and small in power. Also, it is directly transferred to a receiving device that converts it to electricity again and it gets sent to the battery.
- This type of charging has been used in many appliances like medical devices, electric toothbrushes, etc. The International Commission on Non-Ionizing Radiation Protection (ICNIRP) found that no inductive charging causes no adverse effects on human health and it is safe.
- Wireless charging can be safer in some ways compared to plugging in your iPhone every time you want to charge it. This is because wireless charging requires no meddling with wires or connectors.
- This reduces the risk of electric shocks and failure of components that can cause harm. This lets you use your electric toothbrushes in bathrooms with the risk of getting electrocuted because there won’t be any loose ends that conduct electricity from the toothbrush.
- There are concerns that electromagnetic fields can cause health issues. High levels of EMF are indeed a risk to your mental health but the EMF from wireless chargers is very low to pose any health risk to you or your any person.
- A study done by the World Health Organization (WHO) supports that low EMF emissions are safe and don’t lead to health issues. If there were any problems, there wouldn’t be any wireless charging tech in the first place. Apple and Qi would have nipped the whole operation in the bud if there were any risks at all. Check out our our “Is Wireless Charging Safe For iPhone” guide.
- Besides we are all surrounded by different radiations around us, our iPhones have Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and cellular networks continuously in use and among all these, the radiation from Wireless chargers and wireless charging is the least effective for your health.
Advantages of Wireless charging
The advantages of wireless charging are why it is implemented in the first place. This is not just true for Apple and iPhones, almost all premium smartphones use wireless charging because it has a lot of advantages.
More convenient, compared to wired charging. Just place on a wireless charging pad and you are golden. And when you need the phone, just lift it and you are good to go.
- Easier compared to fiddling with wires and stuff, you can just place the pad on your desk and leave it there forever. You don’t have to hunt for your charger and charging cable every time you want to charge your iPhone.
- Can improve battery performance and life if used properly.
- Safer, as you don’t have to play with wires, and no one will trip over either.
- You can charge multiple devices with supported wireless chargers; you can even charge different smartphones that support Qi charging with the same pad.
Is Wireless Charging Safe For iPhone – Takeaway
Wireless charging comes with a lot of benefits and this makes it great to use over wired charging. But myths surrounding it have made it seem like they might be harmful to you or your iPhone. But these are not true, both WHO and ICNIRP have found wireless charging to be safe for the user or anyone around them.
Similarly, apart from some precautions, it is as safe or safer than wired charging. And it speaks a lot when Apple is going for a port less iPhone in the future which means it will only feature wireless charging. All this makes it the best and most convenient way to charge your iPhones.