Looking to add a dynamic touch to your iPhone experience? You’ve landed in the right place!
Our comprehensive guide on how to use live wallpapers on iPhone will walk you through the simple yet impactful steps to transform your lock screen and home screen into visually engaging displays.
Here’s how to use live wallpapers on iPhone with iOS 17;
Setting up live wallpapers is easier than you think!
Simply navigate to Settings, then go to Wallpaper and select ‘Choose a New Wallpaper.’
From there, tap on ‘Photos’ followed by ‘Live’.
After picking your desired live image, hit ‘Set’ and decide whether you want the wallpaper for just your lock screen or for both the lock screen and home screen.
If you’re looking for something extra special, third-party apps offer even more options.
For a detailed walkthrough, check out our comprehensive guide on How to Use Live Wallpapers on iPhone.
How to Use Live Wallpapers on iPhone with iOS 17?
Table of Contents
Live wallpapers can infuse unique flair into your iPhone’s lock screen and home screen. With the advent of iOS 17, leveraging live wallpapers has become more streamlined, offering an expanded array of options.
How to Enable Live Wallpapers on iOS 17
- Navigate to the Settings app on your iPhone.
- Locate and tap the “Wallpaper” option.
- Scroll to the “New” section.
- Click on “Photos.”
- Choose a live photo from your gallery.
- Verify that the “Live” toggle is activated.
- Press “Set.”
- Decide if you want your live wallpaper to grace your lock screen, home screen, or both.
To preview your newly set live wallpaper, simply press and hold your finger on either the lock screen or home screen, and enjoy the brief animation your live wallpaper delivers.
How to optimize your live wallpaper experience with iOS 17?
- Pick a live photo that captivates you. The animation should be both visually striking and enjoyable.
- Ensure the live photo you choose is of high quality for an optimal viewing experience. Good lighting and high resolution make for a better animated presentation.
- Caution for older devices: live wallpapers may consume more battery, making them less suitable for outdated or less efficient iPhones.
Where to find new live wallpapers for iOS 17?
- Apple’s App Store is rich with apps that offer various live wallpapers.
- There are several online resources that provide a broad range of both free and premium live wallpapers.
- For those inclined towards creativity, numerous apps enable you to craft your own live wallpapers with ease.
How to set a live wallpaper from your lock screen on iOS 17?
To set a live wallpaper directly from the lock screen on iOS 17, first press the side button to view your lock screen.
Next, long-press on the lock screen and tap the “+” symbol located in the bottom-right corner. This will prompt you to open your Photos app.
Once there, choose the “Live Photo” tab at the top, select your desired live picture, and opt to set it as both your lock screen and home screen.
How to Use Live Wallpapers on iPhone?
If you’re using iOS 16 then i’m sorry to tell you that Apple removed the live wallpaper feature last year with the launch of iOS 16. This means that the company has taken down all live wallpapers in the wallpaper gallery including the ones that came with iOS 15, iOS 14 and so on.
Can you Use Live Wallpaper on iPhone XR and iPhone SE?
Although this feature was introduced with the iPhone 6s, it is not available on the iPhone XR. The major reason you might not be able to use this feature on the iPhone XR is that it lacks the 3D Touch capability, which is required for Live wallpapers to work properly.
This is the primary reason why some users have complained that the live photographs they have chosen as their live wallpapers appear as still photos on the iPhone XR or iPhone SE lock screen.
What’s the alternate option for these models then?
Users of the iPhone XR and SE can still utilize dynamic wallpapers that simulate motion. The main distinction between dynamic wallpapers and live wallpapers is that dynamic wallpapers cannot be customized.
Follow these simple steps to use dynamic wallpaper on your iPhone XR or iPhone SE.
Step 1 Navigate to Settings > Wallpaper on your device. Select a Choose a New Wallpaper.
Step 2 Select your favorite Live wallpapers by tapping “Dynamic.”
Step 3 Press the “Set” button.
Dynamic wallpapers differ from live wallpapers in that they are dynamic graphics that play on a loop and do not require 3D touch to function.
What Are Live Wallpaper and Dynamic Wallpaper, and How Are They Different?
Live wallpapers and dynamic wallpapers both offer animated background options for your iPhone, but they function differently.
Live wallpapers are essentially Live Photos set as your wallpaper. These wallpapers display a short video loop on your lock screen or home screen, and you can activate the animation by tapping and holding on the screen.
On the other hand, dynamic wallpapers automatically adjust based on factors like time of day or your geographical location. For instance, a dynamic wallpaper could transition from a sunrise scene in the morning to a sunset scene in the evening.
Your choice between the two boils down to personal preference. Opt for a dynamic wallpaper if you appreciate automatic changes in your background throughout the day. Choose a live wallpaper if you prefer a specific, interactive animation.
- Live wallpapers tend to consume more battery than dynamic wallpapers.
- Dynamic wallpapers might not be compatible with all iPhone models.
- While you can create your own live wallpapers, customizing dynamic wallpapers is not an option.
Where to Get More Dynamic Wallpaper for iPhone XR and iPhone SE
If you like Dynamic Wallpapers, you might wish to buy some wallpapers other than the ones that come with the iPhone.
If you like Dynamic Wallpapers, I have some bad news for you: you can’t add your own (without jailbreaking, at least). Apple does not permit it. If you prefer Live Wallpapers, however, there are other sources of new graphics, including:
Google: If you search for “iPhone live wallpapers” (or related terms), you’ll find a plethora of sites giving free downloads.
Apps: The App Store is brimming with apps that offer a plethora of free wallpapers.
What about normal wallpapers? Do iPhone XR and iPhone SE support those?
I know by now you must be sad by seeing one bad news after the other. But the good news is that good old fashion wallpapers are still a thing and still supported by the above models.
A high-quality wallpaper can completely change the appearance of your gadget. If you have an iPhone, I’m sure the restricted wallpaper options are a little disheartening.
There are only a few nice wallpapers to pick from. You can use terms like ‘awesome background HD’ or ‘best 4k wallpaper’ to search Google. However, changing their resolution to fit the iPhone wallpaper size is a major undertaking.
You may choose your favorite iPhone backgrounds from a plethora of options thanks to the App Store’s abundance of free wallpaper apps. Although the App Store is crowded with possibilities, not every app is worth installing.
3 Best Wallpaper Apps for iPhone: 2023 Edition
The Vellum Wallpaper app is now only available for the iPhone, but it will be available for Android soon. It not only provides you with a wealth of options for selecting your favorite backdrop but the way wallpapers are displayed in the app is a visual delight.
This wallpaper software contains hundreds of amazing scenic images, visualizations, and more. Daily Wallpaper is a unique and highly recommended feature of the program since a new picture is displayed every day, and it will not let you down.
The features of the Vellum Wallpaper App for iPhone
- You can preview wallpapers on the Homescreen and Lock Screen.
- Wallpapers can be blurred if desired.
- Wallpapers are neatly sorted into several themes for easy access.
The Everpix app is the best if you’re looking for interesting iPhone backgrounds in 4K. It now has about 4000 wallpapers in its collection, which is periodically updated.
You can explore the categories and select the desired wallpaper from the available options. All of the photographs in the app are in excellent definition, and you will undoubtedly find some of the best wallpapers for your iPhone X, 11, or newer 12 and 13 series.
Given the high quality and amount of wallpapers offered, the free software offers up infrequent advertising that can be disregarded. The free app’s main limitation is that you may only scroll through one wallpaper at a time. This is because the grid view is only available in the premium edition.
The features of the Everpix Wallpaper App for iPhone
- Wallpapers that are well-organized. You can even discover which wallpapers are popular in whatever geographical area.
- You can save your favorite wallpapers by selecting the ‘Favorite’ option.
- You can preview the wallpapers to see how your iPhone’s background and lock screen will look once you apply one.
Kappboom is much more than just an iOS wallpaper app. There are interesting facts, notable quotes, and drink recipes available. With the app’s editor, you can create collages and edit photos.
The app has over 200,000 wallpapers, with all iPhone backgrounds in excellent definition. Some of the best wallpaper for iPhone 11, 12, and previous models can be found here.
The features of the Kappboom Wallpaper App for iPhone
- The Slideshow feature in the Kappboom Wallpaper App allows you to sit back, view wallpapers, and select the ones you want.
- You can use the hold and drag feature to add backdrops to your favorites, locate images with similar tags, and share them with your friends.
- The picture search function on Kappboom can be used to look for images online.
- Make a collage using the app’s provided wallpapers.
Live Wallpapers on iPhone XR and iPhone SE – Conclusion
Hopefully, our post helped you understand why live wallpapers aren’t supported on the iPhone XR and iPhone SE.
The live wallpapers are compatible with the iPhone 6s, 7, 7 Plus, 8, 8 Plus, X, Xs, Xs Max, Xr, 11, 11 Pro, and after.
If you use animated backgrounds on your phone, expect the battery to deplete faster, and animations will not work if your iPhone is in low power mode.