I’ve always loved playing games on my iPhone. Not just because I’m bored but mostly because I love playing on an Apple Phone as there’s almost no latency or lag while playing even high-end games. Last year, When Apple launched its much-awaited gaming subscription the Apple Arcade, I immediately jumped at the chance. Check out our guide on How Apple Arcade Works for more details.
Apple Arcade is a premium gaming subscription for iOS and Apple devices which hosts some of the best arcade games in the market right now. This subscription is a god-send as there are always newer games to be played since Apple refreshes its game library rather frequently.
Over this article, I’ll take you through How Apple Arcade Works and why it is a good idea to opt for their monthly subscription.
How Apple Arcade Works
After using Apple Arcade for more than a year on various Apple devices, I found out that:
Apple Arcade is a premium online gaming platform developed by Apple for their range of devices. Apple Arcade was created to give users access to a wide range of online and offline games that can be played either on the Apple TV or one of the Apple devices such as the iPad, iPhone and so on.
- The games available on Apple Arcade are relatively small in size ranging from 9MB up to 3GB and are available to play only on iOS and not Android.
- Basically, all you have to do is purchase a subscription to Apple Arcade from within the App Store by tapping on Arcade. You will be provided with the option to choose from monthly subscription packs to a yearly subscription.
- This allows you to download any game of your choice at no additional fee and play them across devices in the Apple Ecosystem.
- An advantage of Apple Arcade is that with one subscription up to 6 family members can log in and play against each other.
- So here’s the thing, Apple has invested in getting Arcade up and running to grab a piece of the gaming market. To have Apple Arcade running smoothly across devices, Apple has built-in controller support into their current operating systems, tvOS 13, iPadOS 13 and iOS 13.
- The only time you’d need a network connection with Apple Arcade is when you’re downloading games, the rest of the time these games can be played offline, at any time and anywhere.
What is Apple Arcade?
Since its launch in 2019, Apple has gradually been making improvements to Apple Arcade in terms of features and compatibility. A simple platform built into the App Store, Arcade lets you choose from over 100 games to play with more games being added every few weeks.
- Currently available in over 150 countries, Apple Arcade is quite similar to Xbox game pass that is available on Microsoft devices or Google’s Stadia. The only difference though is that live internet connection is not mandatory to play games on Apple Arcade.
How To Use Apple Arcade – Features
Apple Arcade is known to be your one stop destination to over a hundred games that can be easily accessed from your handheld device. There are a few notable features which make Apple Arcade unlike any other.
- With Apple Arcade, you are given unlimited access to all the games that are available in the Arcade section of the Apple App Store.
- You can rest assured that there are no in-game purchases or annoying Ads to disrupt your gameplay experience.
- Games can be downloaded cross-device and can be played with or without an internet connection making it ideal for any scenario.
- Apple Arcade provides the subscriber with access to allow up to 6 family members to join in on the fun.
- A notable feature of Apple Arcade is the ability to cross-save. This allows users to save their game progress on one device such as an iPhone and continue where you left off on another device such as Mac or Apple TV.
- Apple Arcade data is private and as a user, you’re given the choice to decide if you want to share your personal data or not.
- Apple Arcade works with Screen Time and parental controls, as a parent this gives you the ability to set time limits for each game and restricts certain games that may not be age-appropriate.
- Apple Arcade supports the use of wireless controllers which can be connected via Bluetooth such as the Xbox controller, PS4 DualShock and the MFi gaming controller.
Apple Arcade Games
Apple has been known to tie in some of the best game developers and production companies to provide unlimited fun and entertainment for users of all ages. When Apple launched the Apple Arcade, it started of with no more than 50 games. However, they’ve since added over a 100 new games, making it one of the best platforms in the market.
Not only have they worked with big brands but they’ve also collaborated with indie developers like Bossa Studioes, Konami, LEGO, Cartoon Network, Giant Squid, Klei Entertainment, Finji, Mistwalker Corporation, and SEGA to come up with exclusive games only for the Apple Arcade platform. One of the most amazing things about this platform is that all the games are just on the platform. Meaning there is no iOS games that you would usually find in the Apple store.
Some of the top games available on Apple Arcade are:
Sega has once again delivered an amazing multiplayer racing game that features Sonic and Friends. In the game you are given a choice to pick from 15 characters to play and compete with.
- This multiplayer racing game requires you to collect Power-Ups and attack the competition by setting up traps all through the game while driving a really cool car at high speeds.
- You get to decide how to play the game; you can pick from a variety of available modes such as Solo, Multiplayer with Friends or if you’re looking for some serious competition you can go Global. The game includes a total of 15 tracks split across 5 zones which have to be dominated.
- Sonic Racing has received a reasonably sized update which includes the following patches to enhance the gameplay, a new Zone that consists of 3 new tracks and challenges, 4 player mode has been added that allows you to play with 4 members in the family and an overall game engine overhaul.
- Sonic Racing can be downloaded from the App Store and is available for iPhone, iPad and Apple TV users aged 4 and above.
Available for the iPhone, iPad and Apple TV, Lego Brawls is a fun-packed team action brawler where you get to decide your fate. The game brings out your inner creativity by letting you design your own minifig with superhero-like abilities.
- As a player, you’re given the opportunity to compete in 8 different levels using power-ups you built out of bricks. As you expand your collection of minifigs over the course of the game you get to control some of the iconic Lego levels with the assistance of your team.
- The latest Halloween update brings to you new game modes, Halloween themed minifigs and a new collection screen.
- The game requires a minimum of iOS 13 to work and is compatible with a wireless gamepad.
- Lego Brawls can be downloaded from the App Store and is available to users 9 and above.
A futuristic tale about the descendant of the great Lancelot, Fallen Knight revolves around the journey of Lancelot the 49th as he faces 6 enemy heroes who have had a dark past. The game is designed to reward those who are victorious and punish those who make mistakes.
- Fallen Knight lets you write the story of the game as you play,, with multiple endings based on the steps you take in the game you’re bound to end up at one of the multiple alternate endings.
- What makes the game interesting is that when you’re done with one version of the ending you can restart the game and pick a different route to take for another storyline.
- Available on the App Store, Fallen Knight can be played by users of ages 9 and above and will require a minimum of iOS 13 to work.
Apple Arcade Subscription
Signing up for Apple Arcade is really easy, since there are no Apps available for Apple Arcade you will be able to activate and sign up for Arcade within the Apple App Store.
- The option for Apple Arcade is only available on devices running iOS 13, iPad OS 13 and macOS. This can be found in the footer of the App Store home screen for iOS and iPad OS whereas on macOS the Arcade option will be located in the left column.
Tapping on Apple Arcade will take you to the Sign-Up page where you can opt for a 30-day free trial, post which the subscription charges are $4.99 for a month and $49.99 for a year.
There are only two requirements for Apple Arcade to work:
- A functioning Apple ID
- An Apple device that is running on the latest OS.
As soon as the signup procedure is completed, you can proceed to select the games you wish to play. You can download the desired game by
- Tap on the name of the game you wish to play
- Click on Get to download the game to the device.
Cancelling an Apple Arcade account
For those of you who have decided to cancel your subscription for any reason whatsoever can do so in two methods; the easiest way via your mobile device or via your Mac
Mobile Device (iPad, iPhone, iPod)
- Start by opening the Apple App Store and press on your Profile photo situated on the upper right-hand corner.
- Within the profile, tap on Subscriptions to access everything you have subscribed to on your registered Apple ID.
- Search for Apple Arcade and tap on the subscription.
- Now that you’re in, you will be presented with a button to cancel your subscription based on the plan you chose, tap on the Cancel button.
- Lastly, you’d receive a cancellation prompt message asking you to confirm the cancellation, press Confirm to complete the process.
- On a Mac start by opening the Apple App Store and click on the icon with the profile picture found in the left corner of the footer.
- Once in, press on View Information located in the upper right side of the Account window. You may be prompted to login or enter your Apple ID password, enter it to proceed.
- Scroll down on the Information page to access Manage Subscriptions. Here you’d find the complete list of active subscriptions associated with your Apple ID.
- Click on the Edit option found next to Apple Arcade and press the Cancel option which pops up in the middle of the screen.
- Tap on Confirm to complete this process and have your Apple Arcade subscription cancelled.
How Apple Arcade Works – Takeaway
Apple Arcade has been the talk of the last two years mainly because of its cross device compatibility and low subscription fee. As you have seen, Apple Arcade is ideal for all age groups and has a wide variety of games available in the App Store for every kind of player.
The article How Apple Arcade works takes you through what Apple Arcade is all about along with its important features, signup options, subscription plans and more.
If there is anything you feel that has been left out or any questions you may have pertaining to this article, please feel free to drop your question/comments below.
How do you use Apple Arcade?
The easiest way to access Apple Arcade is to open the app store and go to the arcade tab. This arcade tab is usually at the bottom of the screen on iPhones and iPads. On Apple Tv’s you can find it on the top of the screen and on Mac’s it can be found on the sidebar. Check out our guide on How Apple Arcade Works for more details.