I spend a lot of time writing, be it articles for my website, my personal works, it is something I love doing. Writing apps are some of the most important tools for any writer. I have struggled with many poor writing apps which made writing feel more of a chore and not something enjoyable. This led to me checking out many writing apps on my MacBook and I was pleasantly surprised. Check out our Best Mac Apps for Writing.
I am happy to tell you that there are many amazing writing apps that can make writing an absolute blast. These apps are some of my favourite writing apps. They are loaded with features, that take some load of you.
They have beautiful themes and a clean User Interface (UI), that makes writing fun and engaging. And all these apps come with a distraction-free mode to keep you writing for hours at a stretch. Read on to discover some of the Best Mac Apps for Writing.
After having reviewed all the best Mac Apps for Writing based on UI/UX, price, features, function and much more; my team and I zeroed in on 5 that really stood out. These 5 were further put through a series of stress tests to determine the best. We found out that;
Scrivener is the best Mac app for writing. It also offers pre-written templates for poetry, short stories, blogs and more. Most importantly, it offers the user amazing features such as drag and drop, to organize parts/sections of writings. Additionally, it also a 30-day free trial to check it out
BEST MAC APPS FOR WRITING
Scrivener is one of the most feature-rich and well-rounded writing apps for Mac. Scrivener will have you covered to work on anything from a blog to research papers to novels. Simple but intuitive UI combined with some of the most useful features makes it one of the best writing apps for Mac. With a one-time purchase of 49.99$ for Mac, it offers tremendous value for your money. It’s one of the Best Mac Apps for Writing!
- A drag and drop tool to organize parts/sections of writings within a bigger project like a novel or screenplay.
- It also offers prewritten templates for poetry, short stories, blogs and more. This makes it easier to start working on a topic. There is a full-screen mode for distraction-free writing.
- You can export to virtually any format like Word, ODT, PDF, txt, RTF, EPUB and more. If you want to work across multiple platforms, Scrivener supports, Mac, Windows and iOS too. It also has a 30-day free trial to check it out.
- Loads of features.
- Very good user interface.
- Good value for money.
- Excellent support for different formats.
- Students and teachers can get a price discount.
- There is no collaboration feature so hard to get opinions from others.
This Apple exclusive writing app is also one of the best writing apps ever for your Mac. It only works on Mac and iOS devices, which makes it a great option in you are already in the Apple ecosystem. It supports Apple’s iCloud, has tons of features and is guaranteed to provide you with a great writing experience. It only has a subscription model, which some may like and some may not, but regardless, of the features it offers, it is well priced at 4.99$/month or 39.99$/year.
- Ulysses comes with an excellent single library that houses all of your documents for an efficient workflow process. It features a version history option, so you can jump between different versions of your writings. It’s one of the Best Mac Apps for Writing!
- It also has a distraction-free mode that will help your work better without distractions. Great support for different export formats, you can export it to almost any format, including Rich Text, PDF, HTML, Docx, EPUB and more. You can also directly publish to WordPress or Medium.
- Cloud support to iCloud or Dropbox can also help you with collaboration with others. Paid subscription model with discounts on yearly packages. Discounts for students and teachers too.
- Best customer service of all the apps in this list.
- Exclusive and well implemented into Apple ecosystem.
- One of the best export format support.
- Clean and functional user interface.
- 14-day free trial allows you to check the app.
- Hefty discounts for students and teachers.
- Good cloud connectivity with support for iCloud and Dropbox.
- No pre-made templates (but you can create your own).
- The subscription model can end charging more in the long run.
Storyist is probably the closest alternative to Scrivener, you can replace scrivener with Storyist and you will be able to find all the features on here too. Right from the UI to most features, they are so similar to Scrivener.
It is not a bad thing at all that Storyist is similar to Scrivener. Storyist feels a little cleaner and more colorful which makes using it a joy too. At a one-time fee of 48.50$, there’s very little to complain about and a lot to love about Storyist. It’s one of the Best Mac Apps for Writing!
- Extra tools like the Goal tracker and the Outliner make writing even more fun and challenging experience. Looks clean, minimalistic and simple, with some very cool themes.
- Distraction-free writing experience available which will aid you in writing. Special story development tools to add visual cues for your novel. Stats tracking lets you work and maintain your project in a better way.
- Beautiful writing app with clean UI.
- Easy to keep track of projects.
- Good support for export formats.
- Outliner tool helps in creating a plot, characters, objectives easily.
- Very good for storytelling.
- Available for both Mac and iOS
- Not the best app for blogging/article writing.
- No collaboration option.
Write! App is another beautiful and clean writing app for Macs. It features two great distraction-free writing options to help you work better. It is like a lite version of Scrivener. Coming in at just under 25 dollars, makes it a great deal. It has a great set of features for its price and is one of the best writing apps you can find for Macs.
- Two distraction-free writing options, you can use the Full-Screen mode or Focus Mode. It has a Full-Screen mode blocks out everything except your work and interface. It also has a Focus Mode that goes one step further by only giving you access to the sentence and paragraph you are working on.
- Cloud sync from Write! App allows you to access your files from any device which is a great feature. This app has multi-language support. Up to 35 languages.
- Easy and convenient to take notes quickly. Very good collaboration feature that will help you get pointers from others.
- Relatively cheap and so offers good value.
- Beautiful and a pleasant user interface.
- Two very good distraction free writing modes.
- 7-day money-back guarantee.
- Collaboration feature works well is very useful.
- Spell checking for up to 35 languages.
- Cloud sync and publishable URL.
- Export options are not as robust as the best writing apps for Mac.
- No version history, it only saves the latest version of your write up.
- No free trial and cloud version costs extra, which is a bummer.
- Only desktop options available, so you can’t work on iOS devices.
iA Writer is a simple but effective writing tool for your Mac. It is easy to use and it is a writer first app, doesn’t have all the bells and whistles of most other apps on this list. Coming in at 29.95$ for the Mac version it is one of the better value writing apps for Mac.
- A clean and minimalistic interface for just writing, this limits distractions. It supports other platforms including iOS, Android and Windows for a better range of working capabilities.
- Features a Focus Mode to help you write more effectively as it fades out everything. It features templates to give you a jump start.
- It is integrated with iCloud and Dropbox for seamless cloud connection. You can also publish to WordPress, Medium or as an HTML page.
- Clean interface.
- Focus mode.
- 30-day trial and relatively cheap.
- Cloud sync support.
- Direct publishing support.
- Compatible with different devices and operating systems.
- Only two export option, PDF and Docx.
- Poor customer service experience.
- Windows version is cheaper than Mac version which makes it’s a slightly worse deal.
These are some good writing apps that are worth checking out if you are interested in more or want more variety:
- Final Draft
If you are a budding writer or a professional writer, no matter who you are, you will need a good writing app for the best writing experience. You will need the best writing app to get your thoughts out into the world.
The writing apps in this list are some of the bests you will find for your Mac. You won’t be disappointed with any, but you can choose them based on the features you need for writing. These are all excellent for their price and are feature-rich to keep you engaged in writing.
- Rumours on the Apple Watch Series 6
- These Apple Pencil Alternatives will Amaze You
- The Sound Quality Of These Fake Airpods is on Point
Alan Urban is the Editor-in-chief of Stupid Apple Rumours and often proclaims that he’s ” Apple’s number one fan.”
In addition to keeping up with the latest Apple news, he also reviews Apple products and creates user-friendly guides. When not subjecting Apple Devices to crazy stress tests, he’s usually playing games on Apple Arcade